Bourne Archive: Bourne Abbey: home Latest edit 14 May 2011
Bourne Abbey was a small house of Arrouaisian canons, founded in 1138 and dissolved in 1536 but the building also housed the parish church. For this reason, much of the church building remained in use after the dissolution and has a story to tell of events which have happened in and around it, before 1536 and since. Some can be found by the skills of historians, in written documents; others need to be read from the building by archaeological interpretation. When put together, the two sets of information tell a surprisingly full story.
This page provides links to transcriptions of documents and interpretations. Some are on this site but many come from elsewhere.
Documents (transcriptions, translations and summaries):
The Augustinian Rule:
Augustinians of the
Parish Register (reference) 1562 to 1650
Introduction to the printed edition.
Bourne Charities: a list formerly displayed in the church
John Moore’s Bourne Abbey 1809
Dugdale’s Monasticon Bourne Abbey on the Monastic Matrix site
Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent Make a ‘find’ search for Bourne.
Edmund Holland, 4th Earl of Kent (Plantagenet family tree) Make a ‘find’ search for Bourne.
Market and fair charters: for Bourne Abbey’s property at Wilsford see Ancaster.
The Abbey Buildings (archaeological approach):
The possible Monastic Almonry
The Browne memorial
The Clay Chandelier
William Dodd, vicar
Bourne Abbots (The manor established with the abbey):
Bourne Abbots estate map (1825)
The Pochin memorial
Studies (modern writing on the respective subjects):
The Arrouaisian Order (and other Augustinian orders)
The Ormulum Project
A use for one of the abbey’s fish ponds.