Bourne Archive: Places: Home © 2007 R.J.PENHEY
http:// boar.org.uk/abiwxe1BournePlaces(home.htm Latest edit 11 May 2011
The Bourne Archive
The original idea of this page was to provide links to places named in the archive documents but that was too complex to be practical. It is nonetheless useful to have information to which reference can be made from other pages as appropriate. The list of old names of fields and other places in the parish represents that function.
From the old format, I have retained a selection of links from this page, to mentions of places within the parish of Bourne but it is not at all comprehensive. Go to document links.
Finding Bourne’s Open Fields
and Landscape Features on a Map
The names of the former open fields are medieval, as are the names of some of the enclosed lands but the sources of information used date mostly from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Two major sources are the Exeter Estate Book (EEB) and Bourne Abbots Estate Map (BAEM), from 1827 and 1825, respectively.
To keep the text as concise as possible, the cardinal points of the compass are abbreviated to N, S, E and W, respectively. National grid references are given so as to place items on an Ordnance Survey (OS) map more concisely and clearly than the use, simply of other place names would allow. Where appropriate, geographical coordinates are given for use in Google Earth.
Abbey House: a modern form of the name of Bourne Abbey, the house of George Pochin. It was demolished in 1879 (Birkbeck p. 71).
Abbey Lawn: a sports ground which was originally, the 18th century sheep lawn of Abbey House.
Austerby: the modern name for the street which
seems to have been
The Austerby: The S-E part of the town, around Austerby. According to the owner of the Manor House of Bourne Abbots, which appears externally to have been built around 1600, ‘The Austerby’ was sometimes used to name the house.
Austerby House: possibly the manor house of Bourne Abbots (TF101197) but the Ordnance Survey map of 1891 places the name further W. The name is used by Mr. Glover in White’s Directory 1882, list of residents of Bourne.
Lane: is a generic term
for a service road at the rear of properties, which allowed access from their
yards to meadow and field for livestock and equipment. For example, Meadowgate served as a
back lane for part of
Bedehouse Bank: TF103197, the land E of Willoughby Road, S of the navigation basin and N & W of the diverted Car Dyke, formerly belonging to the Marquess of Exeter but developed, apparently by squatters. See its home page.
Blake Kyrk: in Pinchbeck parish, seemingly, the segment of the River Glen between Guthram Gowt and Surfleet. See Brunne Ee.
Boston Bank: the bank on the N side of the River Glen
between Eastcote (Tongue End) and Drove hurne (Dovehurn), in Pinchbeck.
(Dugdale’s map of Deeping Fen, c. 1638, reproduced by Miles p. 7.) The name presumably arose from
the fact that it was the southern boundary of the land which drained towards
Bourne Abbey: might refer to the monastic institution, founded in 1138 and dissolved in 1536, or to the parish church,
or to the house of the lords of the manor of Bourne Abbots, built in 1764 and
demolished in 1879 (Birkbeck p. 71), after it had become the vicarage house. Paterson
1826 p. 398, mentions Rev. John Wilson as the resident at Bourn Abbey. The
house is now usually referred to as Abbey House but while members of the Pochin
family were resident and for some time after, perhaps until it was demolished,
it was The Abbey or Bourne Abbey. It was occasionally, called
Bourne Abbots: one of the two manors into which Bourne was divided.
Bourne Meadows: S of Dyke Haws, N of Bourn Outgang (Spalding Road), W of Gobbold’s Park & E of East Field (EEB), around TF109212, each side of Meadow Drove.
Bourne-Morton Canal: an archaeological feature extending from Spalding Road, TF108205, to well toward the E end of Morton Fen, TF153245 (FIRT pp. 32-3, Plate IX and Map 3). Much of its length is detectable in Google Earth: Southern end: Northern end: around New Dike.
Bourne North Fen: around TF140210, E of Barnes Drove, W of River Glen, N of Bourne Eau
Bourne Outgang: the modern Spalding Road adjoining Newlands and Friar Bar Pastures, from at least as far W as Mannning Road and E as far as Friar Bar. (EEB & BAEM)
Bourne Reeds: a small roadside plot along the E side of the modern A6121 at TF078193 (original OS). Plot number 133, 1 rod, 18 perches (EEB) = 1467 m². Held by the Bourne Abbots Estate (BAEM), copyhold of the Exeter Estate (EEB). Neither estate map names it. See OS map of 1891. By 1891, it appears shrubby.
Bourne South Fen: Between Bedehouse Bank and the River Glen at Tongue End. S of Bourne Eau, E of Car Dyke, N of Tunnel Bank (BAEM & EEB) and W of the River Glen.
Bourne South Fen Pastures: E of Car Dyke, N of Thurlby parish boundary, W of Sir Gilbert Heathcote’s Tunnel & S of Tunnel Bank.
Bourne Wood: at the W end of the parish, part of an extensive woodland area extending into Edenham and Morton parishes. EEB records the Exeter Estate’s ownership of 578 acres, 32 perches.
‘The Bovril’: the ironical name of the rendering plant of T.W.Mays, where fallen stock was converted into bone meal, glue etc. Some of its buildings remain adjacent to the South Fen Slype at TF111199. It closed in about 1981. (details)
Brewery Lane: part of the modern
Broad water: in or adjacent to Moor Field, Dyke. Mentioned in 1720.
Brun: is a Latin form of the name of Bourne. The Domesday Book (1086) treats it as a fourth declension noun (in Brune). See e.g. entry 42,3.
Brunne: is a form of the name of Bourne. See Brunne Ee.
Brvn: is a Latin form of the name of Bourne. The Domesday Book (1086) treats it as a fourth declension noun (in Brvne). See e.g. entry 14,87.
Brunne Ee: The Sewers Commission report of 1293 (Wheeler, p.246) lists this, Tolhan and Blake Kyrk successively as though each were a continuation of the one before. Then it allocates the responsibility for bank repair to Brunne (Bourne) from Brunne to Goderamscote on the north side (i.e. in North Fen to its eastern extremity) and from Brunne to Merehirne on the south (i.e. in South Fen with Merehirne to be read as Tongue End). Brunne Ee might then be read as Bourne Eau to Tongue End; and Tolhan as the River Glen from Tongue End to Guthram Gowt. Blake Kyrk would then be the Glen from Guthram Gowt to Surfleet. This was probably the responsibility of Pinchbeck, though that is explicit only on the south side from Merehirn to Surfleet. The missing allocation of the north bank responsibility for Blake Kyrk could be accounted for if no raised bank existed in that position. (A fuller explanation to follow on a separate page RJP3)
Bull Inn: The present Burghley Arms. Its yard became the cattle market and is now Budgen’s car park and the post-1990s market place (EEB).
Burdett’s Close: EEB plot 156. TF088222, across the road W of Cawthorpe Hall.
Burne: is a form of the name of Bourne. e.g. see Kirke’s will of 1685.
Caldecott’s Drove: a field access road at TF118223, leading northwards from Dyke Drove, into the western end of Dyke Fen, north of Gobbold’s Park. (EEB & BAEM)
Car Dyke: a major feature of the drainage of the
Cawthorpe West Field: around TF087220, W & SW of Cawthorpe (EEB). This area is not named by BAEM.
Cedars, The: the house opposite the west front of the parish church, now known as Bourne Eau House. After its name was changed, the Cedars name was used for the house marked ‘Vicarage’ in this map of 1891.
Colehouse Close: presumably near the coal wharf. See National Archives document HILL 38/1 (1613)
Colehouse Stile: In the time of Elizabeth I, the western end of the Waredyke (Weir Dike) (Wheeler p.250 ¶3) and the eastern end of the Eastgate part of the town. It was on the north side of the Bourne Eau. The head of the Weir Dike is shown by BAEM, without naming it, as lying at TF107199. Coordinates 52° 45’ 56.4 N 0° 21’ 38.2” W. The dike is no longer very evident this far west, though a manhole indicates that it is present in a culvert.
Collins’ Bridge: the bridge across the eastern end of
the Bourne Eau Navigation basin, Eastgate (1854). This is deduced by inference
from the name of Collins’
Common: in writing of Bourne, Cooke (ca. 1808) refers briefly, to the common and the horse-racing done there. Where this might have been at this date, is hard to say.
Cotehill: a cottage against the S bank of Bourne Eau at TF145191. See map of 1892. EEB gives the name to the site of its plot 91; see also Mill Bank.
Cross Drove: a drove in North Fen, linking long Drove and Dyke Drove; just east of Gobbold’s Park (BAEM & EEB). O.S. Pathfinder (1988) calls it Barnes Drove.
Crown Close: adjoining Car Dyke and
Decoy: EEB plot 297. TF165204, towards the NE end of North Fen Pastures. It was part of a large area owned by Lord Exeter. Its outline is seen in an OS map of 1891. BAEM mentions another, in South Fen around TF135194 but neither estate map shows it. The South Fen decoy appears to be represented by a symbol in Saxton’s map of 1576, though it seems to have been converted to pasture by the mid-1820s.
Division Drain: the drain on the boundary between Bourne South Fen Pastures and Northorpe Fen. An alternative name was Partition Drain. (Miles p. 3.)
Doctor’s Yard: TF095205, on the site of the present Tesco petrol station. It was one of the many back yards in which low quality cottages were built in the nineteenth century. Most were cleared after the Second World War as a result of regulations introduced just before the war.
Dog Hill Field: around TF093225, N of Cawthorpe, W of A15 Dyke turning (EEB). According to BAEM this is part of Quinto Field.
Dyke Ea: the original river flowing from Eau Well, Dyke across the fen to the tidal water, then existing in Pinchbeck North Fen. In 1576 Saxton showed it joining the Glen close to Pinchbeck, around the site of Money Bridge TF2125.
Dyke Fen: around TF140222, around Dyke Drove, E of Dyke Meadow to about TF162227. See map.
Dyke Haws: south of Dyke Outgang, around TF107220. E of Car Dyke, at The Heg, W of Gobbold’s Park, N of Bourne Meadows and Bourne East Field (BAEM & EEB). The name implies pre-1766 enclosures. See map.
Ea Dyke: Called Ee Dyke in Elizabeth I’s reign (Wheeler p.250 ¶3). It is the largely artificial drain from Eau Well, Dyke, along Dyke Drove replacing Dyke Ea.
Eastcote: the homestead at Tongue End.
East Field: around TF100210, NE of Bourne, between A15 & Car Dyke. (BAEM).
Eaugate: the E-W section of Eastgate. The short, N-S section of Eastgate was part of Potter Street.
Elm Terrace: a row of houses at a right angle to the W of North Road TF095207. See OS map of 1891.
Engine Drain: leads water alongside the A151, to the pump at Guthram (OS).
Esthawe: TF145171. The Cross at Esthawe marked
the eastern end of the Bourne/Thurlby boundary in Richard II’s reign. (
Forestry Camp: the Ministry of Labour work camp (TF086204). It provided accommodation for men working for the Forestry Commission in re-planting Bourne Wood. It was active from 1926 to the mid-1930s. Its huts became those of the Hereward School.
Fosters Drove: in North Fen, S from Long Drove to The Slipe. TF131207 to 130197. (EEB)
Friar Bar: TF11782079. On the A151 where Bourne Outgang entered Bourne North Fen and became Long Drove EEB. Called Frier’s Bar by BAEM. It was at the SE corner of Gobbold’s Park (BAEM). In Elizabeth I’s reign, it was called Bourne Bar (Wheeler p.250 ¶3).
Friar Bar Hurn: position, as EEB’s version of Friar Bar Pastures (Hayes & Lane). It looks as though Hayes & Lane (fig. 83), interpreted the name as being synonymous with Friar Bar Pastures but a reading of BAEM in the light of Wheeler p.250 end of ¶3, implies a position of TF117202. Here is an eastward-extending hurn (nook) on the extremity of Friar Bar Pastures. In the BAEM, the drain described by Wheeler’s source passes around three sides of it. Coordinates 52° 46’ 03.23” N 0° 20’ 45.84” W.
Friar Bar Pastures: around TF115203, S of Spalding Road opposite Gobbold’s Park Drove, N of Bourne Eau (EEB). Called Frier Bar Pastures by BAEM but there, the word ‘Pastures’ lies to the east of the delineated area, extending the designation towards Milking Nook Drove.
Gallway Close: mentioned in National Archives document 1 DPD1/13 (20 May 1728).
Gamble’s Close: EEB plot 160. TF091221, E of the road between Cawthorpe House & Cawthorpe Farm.
River Glen: forms the E boundary of Bourne parish from Thurlby parish (TF145178) to Guthram Gowt (TF173224). In the Roman Period, it entered tidal waters near the latter point (Phillips map 3 & pp.259-61: interpreted as salterns).
Gobbold's Park: around TF110213, each side of Gobbold’s Park Drove (OS Pathfinder 856 1:25 000 1988), Dyke Drove & Spalding Road (BAEM & EEB). It was a mediaeval enclosure of part of North Fen and is probably named after John Gubaud, who died in 1310 (Platts p.33)
Gobbold’s Park Drove: the modern name (OS Pathfinder
856 1:25 000 1988) for what was formerly Middle Drove (BAEM & EEB). BAEM
gives the name, ‘Gobolds Park Drove’ to that between Bourne Meadows (TF109211)
and Gobbold’s Park. (TF117213). EEB calls the latter ‘
Goderhamscote: Guthram Gowt TF172224. In Richard II’s reign. (
Greyhound Inn: was a boarding house for seasonal workers on the N side of the modern A151 at Friar Bar (OS 1:25 000 First Series TF12. 1955). See Ordnance Survey map of 1891.
Guthram Gowt Engine: the fen drainage engine on the N side of the modern A151 and the W side of the South 40 foot Drain. See OS map of 1889. It was set up following the Acts of Parliament of 1841 and 1843 (Wheeler pp. 279-283). This seems to have been when the name Guthram Cote changed to Guthram Gowt.
Guttram: a form of ‘Guthram’ used in the list of residents of White’s Directory 1882 (Eldret).
Hardwick’s Yard: a plot of 2 rods, 26 perches, on the north-east side of the street in Cawthorpe, to the north-west of and adjoining the present Cawthorpe Farm. (EEB plot 162) TF091223.
Hasleland Field: around TF085226, on each side of
The Hegg: EEB plot 198. Around TF104220: The strip to the south of Dyke in which the earthworks of the Car Dyke are preserved. Called The Heg by BAEM. See map.
Hereward Approved School: housed in the former Ministry of Labour
camp in the S of the two Stray Pastures (TF086204).
The site is now
Hocroft End: a feature in or adjacent to Cawthorpe West Field. Mentioned in 1720: footnote 19.
Holme End: see Le Holme End.
The Hurn: land adjoining
Hussey’s Wood ?Close: around TF084222. Pencilled note on BAEM subsequently struck out. See map
Hussey’s Wood ?[Past]ures: around TF083218. Pencilled note on BAEM. See map
Jonathan Ward’s mill: (1910) wind pump lifting from Division Drain to Weir Dyke, draining 489 acres of South Fen Pastures and Northorpe Fen. (Miles, p5. 15&16.)
Kettle Fold Close: Part of EEB plot 197. TF105222, adjoining Car Dyke, S of Wath Close, Dyke.
Lady Chapel: a chapel dedicated to Our Lady, contiguous with Bourne Abbey church but entered from the churchyard (Hickman ¶ 381), 1533/4. Its doorway may be detected in a buttress supporting the wall of the present Lady Chapel, which is inside the church. The external chapel appears to have been demolished in the mid-17th century as surplus to the requirements of current thinking (as happened at Peterborough Cathedral. Gunton p. 339): possibly in December 1643, at the hands of Cromwell’s troopers (RJP3). The present one, inside the church, dates from the 1920s.
Le Holme End: ‘at the South entrance of the town of
Leve Brigg: seems to be the bridge on Bourne Eau
Long Drove: between Friar Bar and the turnpike gate
(EEB & BAEM) near Guthram Gowt, formerly Gutheram
Cote (BAEM). It is now part of the A151,
Long Road: the main drove in South Fen. So called by the EEB and the BAEM (1825). Miles (p.2) refers to the drain alongside it as Long Drove Drain (1976). The OS map of 1891 (see map) and the 1986 1:25 000 OS agree and call the road Long Drove. The original OS map calls it Black Drove.
Lyme Kiln Field: the reference, National Archives document 1 DPD5/4-5 (21-22 April, 1739) is ambiguous. Its meaning depends on the punctuation one provides. Apparently, it places the field in the Moor but the ref. may refer to two separate holdings: ‘8 gadds of land or ley ground in Lyme Kiln field’ and ‘ in the Moor’, ‘lands of 1 acre’. The phrase ‘in Dyke’ may belong with either.
If “the Moor” means Moor Field, there is cornbrash to feed a lime kiln in its W half (IGS, sheet 143).
In 1891, there was a kiln across the road from the Eau Well (TF108222, see OS map) but, in 1739, this site will have been part of the open, Wath Field. The cornbrash is exposed in this vicinity (IGS, sheet 143) and a strip extends from here, across the Car Dyke via part of the old enclosures, Dyke Haws.
Manor Street: mentioned in Peak’s manuscript of 1380.
(Moore) The most likely guess is that the name refers to the Manor House
at TF101197, in Austerby, which will be the modern name of the street. The
north front of this manor house is stylistically exactly in keeping with a
rebuild at the 1605 date of the fire, recorded as having burnt the whole
street. (Moore) The modern
The Market Place: lies where
Meaylhawe: A place on the Thurlby/Bourne boundary between Esthawe and Arfthwenth (
Merehirne: inquisition at Gosberton, 1294;
reported by Wheeler
p.246. – description consistent with this being Tongue End,
TF155187, which is a hirn (nook) on the mere (boundary) between Kesteven and
Merton = Morton. (
Mill Bank: near EEB plot
91 which is the site of the ruined cottage behind the Red Hall. Plot 90, is
described as ‘water mill & garden’. The existing plan is of too small a
scale to include the plot number of Baldock’s Mill
but plot 89 is now the
Moore’s Cote or Coote: On the west side of the River Glen, between Gutherham and Tongue End. (Wheeler Appx. I p. 28)
Morton Mear: adjacent to Moor Field, Dyke. Mentioned in 1720: footnote 8. This is probably the ‘boundary’ meaning of mere (OED Mere, mear 1.) rather than a shallow lake. It will have been the boundary between Bourne and Morton parishes. See footnote 8. With the spelling ‘meere’, the word appears in several combinations in Peacock’s glossary.
Narwehee: the narrow eau between Bourne and Guthram. That is, apparently, the Weir Dike. (Wheeler Appx. I p. 28)
New Dike: the dike along the parish boundary
between Dyke and Morton fens. The original Ordnance Survey calls it
Newlands: around TF109202, between A151 &
Bourne Eau. Between
New Scotten Dike: the name given by EEB to the Gravel Dike/Gravel Drain, in Dyke Meadow (OS Pathfinder 856 1:25 000 1988).
North Fen Pastures: around TF161196, NE of Bourne Eau & NW of River Glen, at the S end of Twenty Drove’s extension S of Twenty (EEB).
North Field: around TF090214, NW of Bourne, W of A15. (BAEM & EEB). See map.
Nutts Field: see Nutto Field. (Duncombe papers in Lincolnshire Archives: no. 2 DPD21). The draughtsman of the EEB used this name but it has been amended to Nutto.
Old Scotten Dike: see Scotten Dike.
Our Lady’s Chapel: at the turning gates, in the parish churchyard. (Hickman ¶ 381), 1533/4.
Outgang: see Bourne Outgang.
Overflow Weir: at the eastern end of the north bank of
the Bourne Eau, about six metres of the top of the bank is lowered and hardened
to serve when the river is over-full, as an overflow into the Weir Dike which
then carries the water via the South Forty Foot Drain, to
Park Closes: around TF082194, by the A6121, W of Bourne. EEB regards this, including land W of the A6121, as part of Bourne West Field.
Partition Drain: see Division Drain.
Peter’s Pool: see Wellhead Pool.
Pickworths Drove: in the North Fen, N from Long Drove. TF132207 to TF133216. (EEB)
Pinfold Lane: renamed
Plough: EEB plot 188. Public house in Dyke. NE corner of the square at the E end of the street. TF106245
The Pound: an enclosure for stray livestock. On the
N side of the modern
The Rest: a boarding house for seasonal workers at Tongue End. See OS map of 1892.
Rosecraft or Rosecroft: in Moor Field, Dyke (1720. See footnote 7).
Saint Peter’s Hospital: the long-stay hospital housed in the former Union Workhouse building.
Scotten Dike: a dike running parallel with The Car Dyke between TF115222, Dyke Outgang, and Rippingale Running Dike, draining the upland ends of the fens, with drains at intervals, carrying its water to the South Forty Foot Drain. In the Morton part of EEB it is also called Old Scotten Dike. It is named in the Black Sluice Act of 1765 (Wheeler). My guess is that it takes its name from a scot (a local, as opposed to Crown tax) (OED scot, n.2 2.) raised to pay for it (RJP). The OED’s earliest reference to the word, in this context is dated 1432-50. This date is earlier than the 17th century fen drainage but so is the drainage of the area W of the Scotten Dike.
Sekholme: a place in the fen and on the Bourne/Morton boundary,
perhaps at its eastern end. (
Sheepcote Close: EEB plots 93 & 107. TF093197, E
& W of
Seven Streets of Bourne: listed in an account of 1380; namely
Manor-street, Potter-street, East-street, West-street, Water-street (now
Sir Gilbert Heathcote’s Tunnel: TF149182 (OS 1:25 000 First Series TF11 1955). A drainage tunnel passing under the River Glen. It permits the drainage of Bourne South, Northorpe and Thurlby fens as part of Deeping Fen (Miles). Dugdale called it ‘Thurby Tunnell’ (map reproduced by Miles, p.7.).
Skip-role Close: according to Kirke’s will, dated January 1685/6, this was in Burne which we may take as meaning Bourne Parish.
The Slipe (North Fen): the strip of land between Bourne Eau and the Wear Dike; E to North Fen Pastures TF147191. (EEB) BAEM names it as extending E to N Fen Pastures, TF147190. Westwards it tapers away but extends at least to TF113201. The feature continues E to Guthram but in the Pastures it is laid out in plots and E of there (TF169202 to TF173222) it is called The Wash.
The Slipe (South Fen): the strip of land alongside Bourne Eau from TF104198 to TF 134195, where it ended at the Marquis of Exeter’s decoy and pastures (BAEM). According to EEB, beyond Lord Exeter’s land, it continued to Tongue End (TF138193 to TF153187). This part is shown but not named by BAEM.
South Fen Bar: is mentioned by the Bourne Eau Navigation Act of 1781
(p.345). It is possibly the
South Fen Pumping Station: at the E end of South Fen, S of Long Drove and E of Weir Dike; for transferring water to River Glen (Miles pp. 15 & 22).
South Field: around TF100195, extended from the SW corner of the parish to the Car Dyke. It broadened towards its E end to the S edge of the Cemetery site (EEB) or to The Austerby, including the cemetery site (BAEM).
Sparrowsike: in or adjacent to Nutto Field (1720. footnote 21). In this context, a sike is a ditch through which a very small stream flows, perhaps drying out in summer (OED sike 1.). Rarely, up to 1669, it was also used to mean a stretch of meadow or field (OED sike 2.).
Stamp Close: EEB plot 106. TF092196, W side of
Star Lane: the east-west part of the modern
Stocking Close: EEB plot 97, W of the A15 opposite the ambulance station; TF100189.
Stone Pit: TF106192. W of the 90° bend in Tunnel Bank (BAEM & EEB), which was Stone Pit Road (EEB). The word ‘Pit’ is probably abraded away in BAEM. It will have been a source of cornbrash for the mortar pits.
The Stong: EEB plot 256. TF113245, alongside the A151 opposite junction with Gobold’s Park Drove. Stang or stong = rood, a measure of land (Peacock).
Stray Pastures: EEB plots 145 & 146. Around TF086205,
Swift’s Math: 6 acres of land in Gobbold’s Park. See National Archives document 1 DPD5/7 (Easter 1741).
Temperance Café: a coffee house established on the W side of South Street, to provide a social meeting place away from alcoholic drink. See White’s 1882.
The Terrace: houses to the W of
Thurlby Main Drain: alternative name, Weir Dyke: the soak dike against the Glen Bank in Thurlby, Northorpe and Bourne South fens.
Tin Lane: the former name of
the north-south part of the modern
Tolham: also Tolhan - seemingly, the segment of the River Glen between Tongue End and Guthram Gowt. See Brunne Ee.
The Tongue Pasture: EEB plot 255. TF111245, alongside the A151 W of The Stong
Tongue End: the eastern extremity of South Fen
where the Bourne Eau and the river Glen are arranged to merge TF155187.
Strictly, the tongue of land between them was Tongue End. It still lies within
the artificially raised river banks but is now downstream from the confluence
at the modern sluice. The name came into more extended use to refer to its
vicinity (OS 1:25 000 TF11)
(1955), and particularly for the hamlet in Deeping St Nicholas Parish, which lies
along Counter Drain Drove, to the south of the Glen (OS Pathfinder 877) (1986). Tongue
End proper is named by BAEM (1825), as ‘Tongue-End or
Town Houses: see Workhouse (parish).
Tunnel Bank: The road along the N edge of South Fen
Pastures. It runs along the S bank of the Tunnel Drain which leads to Sir Gilbert
Heathcote’s Tunnel. (Tunnel Bank name: OS 1:25 000 First Series TF11 1955.
Tunnel Bank Drain: = Tunnel Drain (1976 Miles p. 3.)
Tunnel Drain: see Tunnel Bank.
Turning Gates: in the parish churchyard. (Hickman ¶ 381), 1533/4. This will have been a turnstile to keep animals out of the churchyard.
Twenty: a hamlet developed from the
mid-nineteenth century onward, where the
Twenty Drove connects Bourne Drove, TF152123 to the A151, TF154207, at Twenty. It lies on the E bank of the old Twenty Foot Drain. 1955 (OS 1:25 000)
Old Twenty Foot Drain: Along the W margin of Twenty Drove (EEB). This part is now filled in (RJP1). This is one of the two parallel main drains formed by Lord Lindsey’s drainage scheme (Dugdale The Map of Lindsey Level).
Wath Close: Part of EEB plot 197. TF106223, adjoining Car Dyke, S of Wath Bridge, Dyke.
Wath Field: around TF110225, E of Car Dyke, W of Gravel Drain, S of New Dike & N of Dyke Drove. See map
Weir Dike: also Weardyke, Wardick or Waredyke,
perhaps also Narwehee - the soak dike on the N side of the Bourne Eau and W of
the Glen, from Colehouse stile eastwards. It presumably takes its name from the
present, or an earlier overflow weir.
In the time of Elizabeth I, it ended at Goodram’s
Wellhead Pool: known also as (St) Peter’s Pool, is a pool in the Bourne United Charities’ public park, TF093199. It impounds the flow of water from the spring which is the source of the Bourne Eau, into the natural head of its small valley. In its present form, it dates from about 1140 and formed the key to the castle’s wet moat system. It also provided a head of water to drive the castle’s mill, thence the Abbey’s mill. Its bank was raised when West Street Mill was inserted into the system. Since the number of mill sites possible in the parish is limited, it is almost certainly the site of one of the pre-Conquest Domesday mill pools. In that form, it would ante-date the castle, though its bank may have been raised during construction of the castle (ca. 1140).
Westgate : the 18th century name of
West-street: the West-street of 1380 is consistent
with the modern
West Street Mill: a small bark-crushing mill set up before the mid 18th century at the back of 31 West Street. It is mentioned as a water mill in Westgate by National Archives document 1 DPD1/5 (20 May, 1722). It is listed as part of a small tannery there in the 1830s (Lincolnshire Archive). It is sometimes Called Cliffe’s Mill, after the 20th century shopkeepers there.
Willoughby Road: was so named in October 1899. Stamford Mercury 10 Oct 1899.
Old Windmill: public house on the E side of North Street. Its building is now incorporated into Wake house. See McGregor Fig. 226.
Wood Close: EEB plot 165, TF080224, adjoining Wood Lane.
Wooley’s Yard: was the wheelwright’s yard of Joseph Woolley. According to
John Musselwhite, it was on the land between
Workhouse (parish): was at the junction of
Workhouse (union): was established in 1836, as a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, on the outer works of the castle, at the S end of the modern St. Peter’s Road (TF093199). Its building was later used as St. Peter’s Hospital.
A small sample of places mentioned in the Bourne Archive is linked from the list below.
U V ^
The parishes in Bourne Poor Law Union