Bourne Archive: Railway: Home © 2010 R.J.PENHEY
http://boar.org.uk/abiwxe1Railway(home Latest edit 9 Dec 2010
The Bourne Archive.
Bourne Economy: The Railway.
This page and those in the list of links are concerned with the rise and decline of the railway in Bourne.
The original service opened 150 years ago, in May 1860.
Bourne to Great
For Bourne railway photographs, sign up to the forum and click on photos.
For track diagrams and timetable, sign up to the forum and click on files.
John Musselwhite’s Bourne Railway site:
Local Rail Networks 1903 (with thanks to Wikipedia)
Bourne Railway Station 1961 (with thanks to Geograph)
View south-westward, towards Castle Bytham and Melton
Mowbray, to the west and Essendine, to the south-west, on the east coast main
line. Bourne had been a thriving junction of the M&GN (Melton Mowbray)- Castle Bytham - Bourne - Spalding etc. line with the ex-GNR
branches from Sleaford and from Essendine. The station looked intact when
photographed in 1961, but it had closed to passengers on 2/3/59, when the
M&GN system was closed wholesale, but remained open for goods until 5/4/65
when the line from Essendine was finally closed (passenger services had ceased
18/6/51). The line from Sleaford had lost its passenger service on 22/9/30,
goods in 6/64.
The goods shed was built as part of the 1894 redevelopment needed to accommodate the arrival of the Saxby line to Melton Mowbray. The early 17th century Red Hall had been acquired by the Bourne & Essendine Railway prior to the 1860 opening of its line and was used as the Stationmaster's house, ticket office and waiting room. After closure of the station it was bought by the Bourne United Charities in 1962. The new owners removed the bay windows which will have been added during the last major refurbishment, in the 1790s.
Bourne Station 1961 (with thanks to Geograph)
View westwards, towards Essendine and Castle Bytham, showing the abandoned engine shed in the background.
The Red Hall, Bourne 2009 (with thanks to Geograph)
An early 17th century house probably built by Gilbert Fisher. Now owned by, and headquarters of Bourne United Charities