Bourne Archive: Bourne Abbey: Artefacts††††††† ©2007 R.J.PENHEY
http://boar.org.uk/abiwxo1PochinMon.htm††† ††††††††††††††† Latest edit 26 Jan 2010
The Bourne Archive
On the south wall of the chancel
This monument is mounted on the south wall of the chancel of Bourne Abbey. There are several such monuments commemorating the more socially prominent Bourne people from this period, following the rebuilding of the chancel in 1807.
This one will have been erected after Eleanor Pochinís husband, George had died in 1798 but stylistically, it is probably earlier than Eleanorís death in 1823. It will date from after the building in 1807, of the wall on which it is mounted but the lettering styles in the two panels do not match, implying that it was erected during Eleanorís lifetime. The monument portrays a widow watching over an urn representing the deceased husband but provision had been made for commemorating her in turn, as her details are not simply added at the bottom of a panel.
They lived in the house then known as The Abbey,
Bourne Abbey or, occasionally, as The Park. After Eleanorís time, it came to be
called Abbey House. It was built by George Pochin in 1764. The Abbey Lawn is the small park
which belonged to it. After she died, it was used as the vicarage house. It was
demolished in 1879 (Birkbeck
p71) and the materials used for building the new
vicarage which is now the core of The Cedars old peopleís home. The present
vicarage house stands on the
The lower photograph shows the details given of their lives and the Bourne Abbots estate map shows the land of what had formerly been her estate. It had passed from George to Mary, his sister but on her death in 1804, it went to Eleanor (Birkbeck pp56 & 82). It is likely that the Bourne Abbots estate map, which was produced in 1825, was part of the new management of the estate, on behalf of her heir. Until 1844, it was in the hands of trustees, who will have needed to account for their stewardship. The heir, William Ann Pochin died in 1901 (Birkbeck p84).
The Leicestershire connections noted by the monument
will have arisen from the location of the familyís principal seat, at Barkby
Hall (SK636098), which is now on the north-eastern fringe of
Georgeís portrait was painted by William Peters and shown at the Royal Academy in 1777 (Victoria Manners p 10). An engraving was made by John Dean. It would be interesting to know where the painting is now. If you can tell me, please do: email@example.com.
††††††††††† Go to Upper Photograph