Doc: Eastgate & Bourne South Fen
http://boar.org.uk/abiwxo3EGdoc018.htm Latest edit 28 Nov 2009.
version ©2008 R.J.PENHEY
The Bourne Archive
A Bourne solicitor’s announcement: Sale of property in
Eastgate and Bourne South Fen: 1854.
S. W. Andrews Angel Hotel
Thomas Ball Bourn
Charles Collins Church
Miss Louisa Green Collins’
John Kettle Eastgate
W. E. Lawrence Long
M. D. Maile Spalding
John Mansfield South
James Sewards West
& Copyhold Estate
Sold by Auction
Mr. W. E.
At the Angel Hotel,
in bourn, in the County
On Saturday the 16th of September, 1854,
At six o’clock in the Evening,
subject to such Conditions of Sale as will be then and there produced,
Following very desirable freehold and copyhold
LOT 1. All that Piece or Parcel of ARABLE LAND, situate in the South
Fen, in the Parish of Bourn aforesaid, containing by
recent admeasurement 5 Acres, (more or less), bounded on the West by Collins’
Bridge Road, and now in the tenure of Mr. John Mansfield
above lot (2A. 1R. 12P. of which are Copyhold of the Manor of Bourn Abbots with
its Members) is situated close to the town of Bourn, and being also in the line of the
projected Railway from Spalding, is highly desirable as an investment.
LOT 2. All that Piece or Parcel of Freehold ARABLE LAND, situate in
the South Fen, in the Parish of Bourn aforesaid, containing
5A. 2R. 8P. (more or less),
bounded on the South by the Long Road, and now in the tenure of Mr. John
LOT 3. All those Two newly-erected MESSUAGES or Dwelling-Houses,
with the Yards and Gardens adjoining the same,
situate in Eastgate, in Bourne aforesaid, and bounded on the South by the
public Road or Street, called Eastgate, now in the respective occupations of
Mr. James Sewards and Miss Louisa Green.
last-described lot is Copyhold of the said Manor of Bourn Abbots with its
The Purchaser will be entitled to
Possession or receipt of Rents from Old Lady-day next. The whole or any part of
the Purchase-money may re3main on approved security.
For further particulars apply to
Mr. CHARLES COLLINS, West-street, Bourn; or at may
S. W. ANDREWS,
Bourn, 21st August,
THOMAS BALL, PRINTER, &c., ALBION GENERAL PRINTING-OFFICE, CHURCH-STREET, BOURN.
Manuscript notes of the outcome of
the auction are added, probably by R. M. Mills:
Lot 1. £380
Lot 2. £362 bought by M. D.
Lot 3. £220
Lot 1. is shown as several plots in
the EEB and BAEM. They lay on the E side of
the section of the modern Cherryholt
Road which lies between the crossing of the Bourne
Eau and Long Drove (grid reference TF106197). The railway, opened in 1866, did
cross the southern end of the land, if the southernmost plot was part of the
lot. The total area given by EEB for the five plots is 5A. 3R.
17P. Leaving the southernmost out, the area is 4A. 2R.
31P. so neither option is very close to the
1854 figure of 5A. 0R. 0P. As listed by the EEB, two
of the five plots were copyhold of Bourne Abbots, a combined area of 2A. 1R. 12P., which does tally with the figure given in the
particulars. The area occupied by the railway combined with that separated by
it from the bulk of the land, would approximate to the difference between the
EEB’s five plots and the auctioneer’s survey but the railways’ influence would
have arisen after the sale. All the other information tallies
with an amalgamation of South Fen plots 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 of the EEB.
It lists the owners as Peter Greenberry and George Foster, the latter being in
plot 11, the southernmost.
is interesting to see the railway speculation in connection with this lot, as
early as 1854. The Bourne to Essendine line was not opened till 1860 and
the company’s shares were offered
only in 1856. Neither of these events had directly to do with the 1866 line to
Lot 2. The description and areas match an amalgamation of
South Fen plots 59 and 60 (TF118194); formerly owned, respectively by William
Halford and William Worth. The latter is likely to have been Charles Frederick
Worth’s father, William.
Lot 3. is harder to place
precisely, as the ‘newly erected’ buildings will not have been shown on the
maps of 25 or so years earlier. There are several plots on the north side of
Eastgate, both freehold and copyhold of Bourne Abbots.
business was a precursor of the partnership of Andrews, Stanton and Ringrose.
Church Street is now the short section of Abbey Road, which lies between the Market
Place and the first bend; that is, between the Nag’s Head and Church Walk. It
originated as part of the Peterborough to Lincoln road as diverted around the
perimeter of the castle and lay between the two roads approaching the castle
gate from north and east respectively.