Doc: Eastgate & Bourne South Fen
Latest edit 28 Nov
version ©2008 R.J.PENHEY
The Bourne Archive
A Bourne solicitor’s announcement: Sale of property in Eastgate
and Bourne South Fen: 1854.
S. W. Andrews Angel Hotel
Thomas Ball Bourn
Charles Collins Church
Miss Louisa Green Collins’
John Kettle Eastgate
W. E. Lawrence Long
M. D. Maile Spalding
John Mansfield South
James Sewards West
Freehold & Copyhold Estate
Mr. W. E. Lawrence,
At the Angel Hotel, in bourn, in the County of Lincoln,
On Saturday the 16th of September, 1854,
o’clock in the Evening, subject to such Conditions of Sale as will be then and
The Following very desirable freehold and copyhold
1. All that
Piece or Parcel of ARABLE LAND, situate in the South Fen, in the Parish of
Bourn aforesaid, containing by recent admeasurement 5
Acres, (more or less), bounded on the West by Collins’ Bridge Road, and now in
the tenure of Mr. John Mansfield
The above lot (2A. 1R.
12P. of which are Copyhold of the Manor of Bourn Abbots with its Members) is
situated close to the town of Bourn,
and being also in the line of the projected Railway from Spalding, is highly
desirable as an investment.
2. All that
Piece or Parcel of Freehold ARABLE LAND, situate in the South Fen, in the
Parish of Bourn aforesaid, containing 5A. 2R. 8P. (more or less), bounded on
the South by the Long Road, and now in the tenure of Mr. John Kettle.
3. All those
Two newly-erected MESSUAGES or Dwelling-Houses, with the Yards and Gardens adjoining the same, situate in Eastgate, in Bourne aforesaid, and
bounded on the South by the public Road or Street, called Eastgate, now in the
respective occupations of Mr. James Sewards and Miss Louisa Green.
The last-described lot
is Copyhold of the said Manor of Bourn Abbots with its Members.
Purchaser will be entitled to Possession or receipt of Rents from Old Lady-day
next. The whole or any part of the Purchase-money may remain on approved
further particulars apply to Mr. CHARLES COLLINS, West-street, Bourn; or at may Office,
BALL, PRINTER, &c., ALBION GENERAL
PRINTING-OFFICE, CHURCH-STREET, BOURN.
Manuscript notes of the outcome of
the auction are added, probably by R. M. Mills:
Lot 1. £380
Lot 2. £362 bought by M. D.
Lot 3. £220
Lot 1. is shown as several plots in
the EEB and BAEM. They lay on the E side of
the section of the modern Cherry Holt
Road which lies between the crossing of the Bourne
Eau and Long Drove (grid
reference TF106197). The railway, opened in 1866, did cross the southern
end of the land, if the southernmost plot was part of the lot. The total area
given by EEB for the five plots is 5A. 3R. 17P.
Leaving the southernmost out, the area is 4A. 2R. 31P.
so neither option is very close to the 1854 figure of
5A. 0R. 0P. As listed by the EEB, two of the five
plots were copyhold of Bourne Abbots,
a combined area of 2A. 1R. 12P., which does tally with
the figure given in the particulars. The area occupied by the railway combined
with that separated by it from the bulk of the land, would approximate to the
difference between the EEB’s five plots and the auctioneer’s survey but the railways’
influence would have arisen after the sale – the line was not opened until 1866.
It may have been that part of the land may have become separated as a building
plot. The Ordnance Survey 1:10
560 map of 1891 (surveyed in 1886) does show a building in the north-west
corner of the land but this would not account for the whole difference.
All the other information tallies with an amalgamation
of South Fen plots 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 of the EEB. That lists the owners as Peter Greenberry and George
Foster, the latter being in the southernmost, number 11, held freehold. This
land is central to what developed, from the early twentieth century, as the
industrial and commercial part of the town.
road which seems to be the Collins’ Bridge
Road mentioned, has since, been Wilson’s Drove and is now part of Cherry Holt Road.
is interesting to see the railway speculation in connection with this lot, in
1854. The first railway in Bourne, begun by the Bourne and Essendine Railway
Company, did not open until 1860 and shares in the company were offered only in 1857.
Lot 2. The description and areas match an amalgamation of
South Fen plots 59 and 60 (TF118194); formerly owned, respectively by William
Halford and William Worth. The latter is likely to have been Charles Frederick
Worth’s father, William.
Lot 3. is harder to place
precisely, as the ‘newly erected’ buildings will not have been shown on the
maps of 25 or so years earlier. There are several plots on the north side of
Eastgate, both freehold and copyhold of Bourne Abbots.
business was a precursor of the partnership of Andrews, Stanton and Ringrose. According to Diana De Marly
(page 2), it was also the successor to
that of William Worth. Andrews’ purchase of the business was made in 1852.