Bourne Archive: FNQ: Clay Buckworth

 http://boar.org.uk/ariwxo3FNQ1035.htm         Latest edit 12 Aug 2009.   

Interactive version ©2006 R.J.PENHEY


The Bourne Archive


FNQ

Fenland Notes and Queries. Edited by Rev. W.D. Sweeting, Rector of Maxey.

Part 61. April  1904.

This quarterly periodical took the form of a forum in which people sent in questions about the history, ecology and so on of the Fens and the region’s environs and others replied with some sort of answer. Some ‘answers’ seem to have been spontaneous, so qualifying as ‘notes’. Editorial notes in the form [note] are those of FNQ; those in the form [note] are those of RJP.


The Clay Family

1035 – Manor of Sutton Holland. – An indenture from Sir Thomas Phillipps’ Collections, in possession of Mr. Caster, gives some particulars of this manor. It is “of four parts,” and is dated 11 Oct., 1740. The parties are (1) Everard Buckworth, of Henrietta Street, Cavendish Square, Esq., (2) Mary Buckworth, his daughter, (3) Edward Wallis, of Long Sutton, co Linc., Gent., and (4) Nicholas Wileman, of the same, Gent. Edward Wallis and his wife Mary, now deceased, were customary tenants of the several manors of Sutton Holland, parcel of the Duchy of Lancaster, and Sutton Cranwell, otherwise Moulton Mumford and Burlings, and they surrendered, (Mary having first been “solely and secretly examined by George Worral, deputy steward to John Foster, Esq., chief steward of the courts of the manor of Sutton Holland,) on 2  Feb., 1737, by the rod, into the hands of the Lady of the manor, with other lands, 1 ac. 1 ro. 3 per. Of customary land in Long Sutton in Dyesgate, lying between Dyesgate, east, the late William Chandler, south, Jonathan Johnson, north, to the use of Everard Buckworth. And Edward Wallis also surrendered, at the same time, by the hands of Everard Buckworth, Esq., steward of the courts of the manor of Sutton Cranwell, into the hands of the Lady of the manor, with other lands, 4 acres of customary land in Long Sutton, in Dikesgate, between the lands of the Cannock Lee, south, his own lands, north, and Dikesgate, east, also to the use of Everard Buckworth. Both surrenders to be void on payment by Edward Wallis of £1,248 on 2 Feb. next following to Everard Buckworth for the benefit of his daughter Mary. Of this sum £1,200 “principal money” was not paid on the appointed day, nor since, whereby the surrenders are forfeited. Nicholas Wileman has agreed to purchase from Edward Wallis the premises for £140, and this sum having been paid to Everard Buckworth, he (the latter) is now seized of all the premises in trust for Nicholas Wileman who is named Buckworth’s true and lawful attorney “from him and in his name but to his own use and profit.”

The deed is signed by three of the parties, but not by Wileman.

[There are two manors, Sutton Holland (Worral, steward) and Sutton Cranwell (Buckworth steward). Mary Buckworth, through the agency of her father, Buckworth, has lent £1,200 to Edward Wallis. Wallis has used copyhold land as security and was to hand principal and interest to Buckworh (as Mary’s agent) on 2 Feb 1741 new style. Worral checked that Mary would by a suitable copyholder should the Sutton Holland property fall into her hands.  Wallis did not pay so it is Mary’s. The reasoning behind Wileman’s purchase would take a lawyer to understand! I included this article as it indicates the similarity in the financial dealings between the Buckworths and the Clay family to whom they became joined by marriage. RJP]


FNQ