http://boar.org.uk/ariwxo3FNQ602.htm Latest edit 15 Nov 2008.
Interactive version ©2006 R.J.PENHEY With thanks to the trustees of the Willoughby Memorial Library
The Bourne Archive
Part 31. October 1896.
This quarterly periodical took the form of a forum in
which people sent in questions about the history, ecology and so on of the
602 – Roman Pottery at Bourne. – A very interesting discovery of Roman pottery has recently been made at Bourne. On the 4th of August some workmen engaged in enlarging the gas-works, while digging in a piece of land situate in Eastgate, near the Gas House Yard, came across a quantity of broken pottery, Clearing away the fragments they found five jars, lying bottom upwards. All are about 14 inches in height, and 8 inches in width at the top. Four have handles. There are no lids. Within one inch of the base are tap-holes. The engraving which accompanies this notice has been prepared from a photograph taken by Mr. T. A. Morris, kindly supplied by Mr. Robt. Mason Mills, of Bourne. It will be seen that three at least were imperfect from cracks probably caused by over-heating.
It is right to say that though general opinion pronounces these objects to be Roman, one gentleman who has seen them, and has made a special study of the subject, inclines to the opinion that they are of Early English manufacture.
The broken pottery consisted of a great many pieces, mostly of a yellow or green colour, but nothing perfect. They are very thin, and were clearly worked on a wheel. One red jar, about 6 inches in height, was nearly complete. There was also the base of a jar of dark lead colour, with some thumb marks on it. It is to be noted that Eastgate, where the discovery was made, was formerly known as Potter’s Gate.
ANCIENT POTTERY FOUND AT BOURNE
Gas House Yard will have been at the western extremity of Eastgate (grid
reference TF102199), where the gas company’s shop was, rather than on the
other, the north side of
John Moore’s sources indicate both that the trade ended following the fire of 1637 and that Potter Street was not so much Eastgate as the street running across its western end. (Moore quote relating to footnote 10) RJP