BoAr: Gallery: BAEM: Cawthorpe
http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7BAEM(pic2.htm Latest edit 25 May 2008.
Text, page and picture ©R.J.PENHEY 2008.
The Bourne Archive Gallery
This is a detail, covering the site of
Figure 19. Plan of the
(Photograph date August 2007. The map is in private ownership)
Green indicates land of the Bourne Abbots Estate, owned until 1798 by George Pochin; until 1823, by Eleanor Pochin and at the date of the map, by trustees who were apparently acting on behalf of the then minor, William Pochin, who was the lord of Bourne Abbots until 1901 (Birkbeck 2 p. 84). Very pale pink is held copyhold of the Manor of Bourne Abbots, brown is roads and blue, water.
The plan is similar to one of ca. 1826-7, belonging to the Exeter Estate and if Fowler’s copy is a guide, to that of the Parker Estate, centred on Morton. They seem not to arise directly from the survey of the Enclosure Commissioners of the 1766 Bourne Enclosure Act, which although very faded, shows differences in detail.
The commissioners’ map, now in Lincolnshire Archives,
shows what appears to be the old, detached Town Hall, in the entrance to