Bourne Archive: BAEM: Eastgate
http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7BAEM(pic4.htm Latest edit 6 Feb 2011.
Text, page and picture ©R.J.PENHEY 2008.
The Bourne Archive Gallery
Eastgate, from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.
This is a detail, covering Eastgate, taken from the enlarged inset of the town, in the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.
In the figure, the grey/green is
The water in the west is the mill pool of what became Notley’s Mill and just to its north, the one of the abbey fish ponds which was filled when the Sleaford railway was built in 1870/1. The green plot in the north-west corner was part of the Abbey Lawn, extending from the sample of the map concerning The Abbey.
In the east, the wider part of the river is part of the basin at the head of the Bourne Eau Navigation, as it resulted from the 1781 Act of Parliament. The water leading from the north, into the river is the Car Dyke
Names mentioned in the present sample map are George Bailey, John Chamberlain, Alexander Eadon, Marquess of Exeter, Thomas Hales, John Ley Row, John [Presgrave], Edward Sharpe, Thomas Shipley, Henry Thistleton, William Thistleton and Edward Wherry.
Most of the landowners’ names can be found in the 1817 Land Tax Assessment.