Bourne Archive: BAEM: Dyke
http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7BAEM(pic5.htm Latest edit 6 Feb 2011.
Text, page and picture ©R.J.PENHEY 2008.
The Area around Dyke, from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.
This is a detail, covering the general area of the Dyke part of Bourne Parish, taken from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.
Dyke seems to have been named from the important, artificial, fen-edge feature, the Car Dyke.
Wath Field will have been named after the wath, which was
the ford across the Car Dyke at the field’s western end. The crossing is now
made by the
The name, Dyke Haws, to the south of Wath Field, means Dyke Enclosures (OED haw, n.1). Haw is fundamentally, the same word as Heg. It occurs most commonly as part of the word ‘hawthorn’; that is, hedge thorn. The name, together with the small size and irregular shapes of the fields here, implies early enclosure; before the 1766 Act of Parliament.
Moor field probably obtained its name from a moor similar
to the one by which the adjacent parish of Morton was named. Except in place
names, the lowland moors of
Over the hundreds of years since the lowland moors were lost, precision in use of the terminology has gone too. Added to this, bog, a word drawn from the Irish language, is now used as the technical term, instead of the Germanic word, moor. However, when using place names as a guide to the former ecology of an area, we need to be attuned to the language in use when the names were given.
The terrier dealing with a purchase made by Robert Hardwick mentions both ‘The Moor’ in or adjacent to Moor field and ‘Hurn More’.
The meaning of ‘Nutto’ is not so clear.
Most of the landowners’ names can be found in the 1817 Land Tax Assessment.