Bourne Archive: BAEM: Nutto Field

http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7BAEM(pic5Nutto.htm                    Latest edit 10 Jun 2010.  

Text, page and picture ©R.J.PENHEY 2010.  


The Bourne Archive Gallery


Nutto Field, Dyke from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map.


This is a detail, covering the area of the pre-enclosure Nutto Field in Bourne Parish, taken from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.

Bourne            East                    Field

 

The contrast in the picture here is enhanced to reveal what in the map itself, is often very faint.

 The parish of Bourne had three sets of open fields; one set each for Bourne, Cawthorpe and Dyke. Those of Dyke were named Moor, Wath and Nutto.

Boundaries: Nutto Field is outlined here by a faint brown line. This runs along the Turnpike Road in the West, the boundary with Bourne East Field in the south, The Heg and Car Dyke in the east and in the north, the rears of the tofts of Dyke and the road leading to the Turnpike. Beyond the Heg to the east, is Dyke Haws, a group of old enclosures.

Soil: It lies almost entirely on soil type 512a, Jurassic limestone and clay (Soil Survey). Geologically (IGS), in the north-east of the filed this means Kellaways sand, which is often more clay than sand. A small strip adjoining the road to the turnpike is Kellaways clay. Near the centre is a small patch of glacial sand and gravel but the largest part is cornbrash. Apart from the turnpike boundary, it is remarkable how closely the geological boundaries match those of the field. The exception is Leg of Mutton field (see Features, below), which lies on Kellaways clay. However, this, with its irregular margin, looks like an old enclosure within the open field.

Management: The numbered and faintly pink fields were held copyhold of Bourne Abbots. The dark grey ones were managed directly, as part of the Bourne Abbots Estate. Those marked F. were held freehold by the owner named and those marked Co. Ex were held copyhold of The Exeter Estate, the Manor of Bourne. The double pencil line near the south-east corner matches the modern drainage ditch. Apparently, the semi-natural stream from Cawthorpe, had formerly, followed the southern edge of the field.

Features: Mr. Dove’s enclosure of 10 acres 16 perches, in the south-west corner takes its name from its shape. Mr Tom Jones, its then owner, told me in the 1980s that it is Leg of Mutton Field (RJP). The map draughtsman seems to have been uncertain as to whether to include The Heg in Nutto Field. The EEB shows just the same ambivalence. The Hegg is notable for the well-preserved state of the Car Dyke earthworks within it. This implies that it was not used as plough-land as Nutto Field will have been. The north-south pencil line approximates to that to the railway, opened in 1871.


Archive Contents