Bourne Archive: BAEM: Wath Field
http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7BAEM(pic5Wath.htm Latest edit 8 Nov 2010.
Text, page and picture ©R.J.PENHEY 2010.
The Bourne Archive Gallery
Wath Field, Dyke from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map.
This is a detail, covering the area of the pre-enclosure Wath Field in Bourne Parish, taken from the Bourne Abbots Estate Map of 1825.
The contrast in the picture here is enhanced to reveal what in the map itself, is often very faint.
Boundaries: Wath Field is outlined here by a faint brown line. This runs along the Dyke Outgang in the south, the Dyke Meadows in the east and north and in the west, a strip of old enclosure lying along the east bank of the Car Dyke. Wath Field was the smallest of Dyke’s open fields. Dyke Meadows is not named by the Bourne Abbots Map but is so named by the Exeter Estate Book (EEB).
Soil: The northern part and the strip of land adjacent to the Car Dyke is
type 511i, lacustrine gravel. It is sediment which
drifted down the slope from the west, under the waters of the proglacial lake, known
Features: It apparently took its name from the wath or ford
which preceded the