Bourne Archive: Gallery: Bedehouse Bank 1947
http://boar.org.uk/ghiwxs7Bedehouse1947.htm Latest edit 5 Apr 2010.
Text and page ©R.J.PENHEY 2009.
The Bourne Archive Gallery
Bedehouse Bank, from the Lyall Sale Catalogue of 1947
Plan of the lots offered for sale from the Exeter Estate in June 1947.
The legend ‘Bourne Eau’ marks the head of the navigation basin arising from the 1780 Bourne Eau Navigation Act. The ditch marked ‘Carr Dyke’ is a medieval diversion of the Roman feature of which the words ‘Queen’s Bridge’ mark the eastern bank. In the vicinity of Bourne, the Car Dyke acts as a catchwater drain, collecting waters flowing from the upland towards the fens and diverting them through the Bourne Eau. In this way, they do not give rise to a need for pumping by entering the fens but instead, pass at a slightly higher level, between banks, through the fens to the sea.
The Marquess of Exeter named on the plan was the 5th Marquess, William Thomas Brownlow Cecil, who lived from 1876 to 1956. This sale appears therefore, not to have been the result of death a duty demand but to have been an example of a re-organization of the estate, following the 2nd. World War. His father was the lord Burghley whose coming of age was celebrated in 1871, the summer following the event itself, in December 1870.